- Has photos (0 photos)
- Has videos (0 videos)
- Has audio (0 audio)
Audrey Hepburn’s beehive, Elvis Presley’s quiff and Jennifer Aniston’s ‘Rachel’ cut have been named among the most iconic hairstyles in history. The Beehive, made famous by Hepburn’s role as Holly Golightly in ‘Breakfast at Tiffany’s', came top of a poll to name the most memorable locks of the past half a century.
Elvis Presley’s jet black quiff came second followed by Bob Marley’s dreadlocks and the cut made famous by Jennifer Aniston during her stint as Rachel Green in hit TV show ‘Friends’.
Amy Winehouse’s high beehive, Princess Diana’s feathered pageboy style and Brigitte Bardot’s iconic bed head look also featured at the top of the list, put together to mark Toni & Guy’s 50th anniversary.
Other iconic hairstyles among the top ten compiled from a poll of 2,000 Brits include The Beatles matching mop tops, Marilyn Monroe’s glamorous blonde curls and Farrah Fawcett’s golden flicks.
Sacha Mascolo-Tarbuck, Global Creative Director for Toni & Guy said:
“Audrey Hepburn’s beehive in Breakfast at Tiffany’s is a style almost everyone is familiar with, even if they have never seen the film.
“The image of her with her dark hair piled up, while she is holding a cigarette holder is one of the most recognisable film images of all time.
“The fact that the famous style is still topping these kinds of lists half a century since the film was released shows how iconic it really is – and it gained even more fans when the film was re-released last year.
“The top ten features styles from across the last 50 or so years – from Hepburn’s beehive, right through to Jennifer Aniston’s face framing layers – and really show how style and fashion have evolved over the years.
“These styles are instantly recognisable, despite many of them being from a whole generation ago – and they will probably still be as iconic in generations to come.”
Twiggy’s demure elfin crop was voted into eleventh place followed by John Travolta’s quiff he wore as Danny Zuko in the 1970′s film Grease.
Kate Middleton’s long brunette curls came thirteenth, with James Dean’s style, David Beckham’s 90′s curtains and Cher’s waist-length, straight hair close behind.
The glamorous bouffant, worn by Jackie Kennedy is at 17, while Halle Berry’s short pixie cut was at 18.
Dita Von Teese’s retro curls and the famous Star Wars buns, worn by Princess Leia completed the top twenty.
It’s not all glitz and glamour in the list though as even some of the most questionable styles from the last few decades feature among the top 50.
David Beckham’s much criticised Mohawk is at number 21, while even Kevin Keegan’s mullet made it in at number 31.
Current looks among the list include Holly Willoughby’s long soft curls, One Direction heart-throb Harry Styles’ messy locks and Zooey Deschanel’s thick fringe.
Other iconic hairstyles include Bo Derek’s cornrows, Victoria Beckham’s ‘pob’ and Kylie Minogue’s 80s perm.
Emma Bunton’s ‘Baby Spice’ Bunches, Alexa Chung and Kate Moss are also among the memorable styles.
Even the Queen features in the list with her perfectly coiffed curls voted in at number 50.
Sacha Mascolo-Tarbuck, Global Creative Director for Toni & Guy added:
“This year, TONI&GUY is celebrating 50 years of hair fashion heritage.
“Over this time, we’ve seen many of these iconic hairstyles copied by thousands of people in our salons.”
TOP 50 ICONIC HAIRSTYLES OF THE LAST 50 YEARS
1. Audrey Hepburn – Breakfast at Tiffany’s beehive
2. Elvis Presley – Quiff
3. Bob Marley – dreadlocks
4. Jennifer Aniston – The ‘Rachel’ cut
5. Amy Winehouse – Beehive
6. The Beatles – Mop tops
7. Marilyn Monroe – Blonde curls
8. Farrah Fawcett – Golden Flicks
9. Princess Diana – feathered pageboy cut
10. Brigitte Bardot – messy bedhead look
11. Twiggy – Elfin cropped cut
12. John Travolta – Grease quiff
13. Kate Middleton – long, soft curls
14. James Dean – high top, tight sides
15. David Beckham – blonde curtains
16. Cher – waist long straight hair
17. Jackie Kennedy – bouffant
18. Halle Berry – Pixie cut
19. Dita Von Teese – Retro glamour style
20. Princess Leia – ‘cinnamon’ buns
21. David Beckham – Mohawk
22. Bo Derek – cornrows
23. Holly Willoughby – sleek long curls
24. Sinead O’Connor – shaved head
25. Mia Farrow – short pixie cut
26. Diana Ross – Afro
27. Victoria Beckham – The ‘Pob’
28. George Clooney – neat side parting
29. Kurt Cobain – messy grungy look
30. Kylie Minogue – perm
31. Kevin Keegan – Mullet
32. Julia Roberts – long voluminous curls
33. Harry Styles – messy style
34. Olivia Newton John – blonde curls ‘after’ style in Grease
35. Eminem – bleach blonde
36. Grace Jones – the flattop
37. George Best – grown out mop top
38. Raquel Welch – Big volume
39. Zooey Deschanel – thick fringe
40. Barbara Eden – ‘I Dream of Jeanie’ high ponytail
41. Kate Moss – Blonde tousled waves
42. Meg Ryan – The Shag
43. Bjork – high knots
44. Lady Gaga – big bow
45. Tina Turner – Big volume
46. Rihanna – The undercut
47. Emma Bunton – ‘baby spice’ bunches
48. Sarah Jessica Parker – messy curls
49. Alexa Chung – messy bob
50. Queen Elizabeth – tight, perfectly coifed curls